Sunday, March 23, 2014

Catch the Carrot


This year I started sitting with the fact that the freelance design work that I do is 99% marketing.  Posters for events, re-designing websites, etc.  It makes sense and I’ve learned a lot about marketing over the years- not from schooling, but from experience.  I have a lot more to learn.  But I now do 2 official marketing things.  I am on the Marketing Team for the Food Co-op around my neighborhood, and I got a full time job (eek!) as Marketing Coordinator at a local non-profit called People’s Emergency Center.  PEC, as we call it, is half homeless shelter for women and children and half Community Development Corporation, or CDC. I work for the CDC part of things, making flyers, emails, facebook pages, websites, etc. for all the social services in the neighborhood that we’re associated with. I think I’ll learn a lot in the position and am glad to be getting a steady paycheck for designing every day.

The piece below is for the Food Co-op. They’re doing this marketing campaign to get new members, so they’re placing these stained glass carrot decorations in a bunch of different local shops and then putting on a scavenger hunt to find the carrots. If you “catch the carrot”, you get a discount on your new Co-op membership.  Oooooooooo!  So this is the design I made for the poster. I did hand-lettering for the “Catch the Carrot” title, which was fun. I don’t get to do hand-lettering very often, so I thought I’d give it a whirl on this one. 


Update: Just found one of these in a bus stop...

No comments:

Post a Comment